Thursday, December 22, 2011

One Fine Day

This morning, I plugged in my ipod and drove to my job. One hand on the steering wheel, the other holding a toasted cheese sandwich and kid's size banana milk on my lap.

"We Are The World" started playing.
Do you rememeber how famous was this song?
When it came out billions years ago I did not know what the words meant.
So Today for the very first time, I listened carefully.

Oh my god!

Did they know back then, we would need to hear these encouraging words this year? or has it been all these years that the world never stopped dealing with wars, hunger & sadness.

I've always felt that we can do so much better with our lives and our future. I'm a lady who tomorrow I will have children of my own. I need to teach them all the things I hated in our society, the differences, the lables, the discrimination.

There are so many things we can sheild the newer generation from learning, and it starts from us. From the new fathers and mothers this year.

I want to teach them to be forgiving, respectful of every single person in front of them regardless of anything.

I remember one evening, my hubby and I were talking to this gentlman behind the conceirge desk in our NYC hotel. We were wondering how come they celebrate Columbus Day in two different days.  He started explaining that the Italians and the Spanish people think that Columbus is from their roots.
He took a moment of silence and said: when we grew up, we never cared who is who. In school, I'm Mark, you are Steve. And that was it. Friends for ever.

I reflected that incident at my little sister in her primary school, she comes home every single day telling my mom: This girl asks me what is my family name and what does my father do? and where am I from exactly?

Yes, they are in Primary School. How did we reach this level?

How can I allow myself to raise judgmental kids?

I don't blame the kids. I blame their mothers. Those who thought, having kids is as simple as shopping for a shoe (well that's not easy too). How can a mother teach her kids to care about things that doesn't make the person, nor his abilities and intellegence. These are things, we are born with!! we cannot change.

Mothers, is that something you want to harvest in your children minds? The mentality of "I'm better than you"

Think again.

On the higher note. Read the song's lyrics. It will make you feel better.


There comes a time when we heed a certain call
When the world must come together as one
There are people dying
And its time to lend a hand to life
The greatest gift of all


We can't go on pretending day by day
That someone, somehow will soon make a change
We are all a part of Gods great big family
And the truth, you know,
Love is all we need


We are the world, we are the children
We are the ones who make a brighter day
So lets start giving
There's a choice we're making
We're saving our own lives
Its true we'll make a better day
Just you and me

Send them your heart so they'll know that someone cares
And their lives will be stronger and free
As God has shown us by turning stones to bread
So we all must lend a helping hand


When you're down and out, there seems no hope at all
But if you just believe there's no way we can fall
Let us realize that a change can only come
When we stand together as one



No comments: